Almost all inhalable formulas in the market consist of a high ratio of THC: CBD and terpenes only. Even though the onset time of inhalable cannabinoids is 10-20 minutes which means they act very fast, the effects disappear after only 2-3 hours. For a person that has difficulty staying asleep, this is a big concern since the patient must inhale several times during the night to have a full 8 hours of sleep. Besides, the high content of THC vs CBD can produce anxiety and euphoric effects. Some formulas contain CBN, but as mentioned before this cannabinoid is much less effective than THC. While these formulations approach the sleep problem from one side we have a much broader array of effects, attacking the problem from many angles.
- THC will help you to feel drowsy, sleepy and catatonic (which means a significant decrease in someone’s reactivity to their environment involving stupor and motor rigidity). This is very useful for people with hyperactivity or restless legs syndrome. However, it can produce anxiety, euphoria or paranoia.
- CBD has anxiolytic effects and, at the correct concentration, it is synergized with THC sleep-inducing properties. However, using CBD alone can be wake-promoting, which means it will keep a person relaxed but alert, which is not ideal to fall asleep. Melatonin: Serotonin is the precursor of melatonin. It is essential for sleep and is depleted in people with chronic stress. This produces low concentrations of melatonin. Therefore, melatonin must be replenished in order to initiate and complete a healthy sleep cycle. In inhalable form, its bioavailability is higher than in oral form.
- Valerian root: Besides serotonin and melatonin, other molecules like GABA (gamma-Aminobutyric acid) a neurotransmitter that blocks impulses between nerve cells in the brain, are essential for relaxation, pain management, mood regulation, and sleep. Unfortunately, it is not clear whether GABA taken as a supplement reaches the brain in large enough quantities to have an effect. Valerian root increases the concentration of GABA naturally by inhibiting molecules that destroy GABA in our brain.
- Terpenes: Our proprietary terpene blend has been specifically formulated to yield a broader sleep-inducing effect than any other terpene blend on the market. This is because the terpenes in our blend:
- Make it easier to fall asleep by acting on the nervous system for enhanced relaxation and reduced anxiety. Select terpenes in our formulation have been shown to inhibit the excitement of the sympathetic nervous system (this system prepares the body for intense physical activity and is often referred to as the fight-or-flight response) so that the parasympathetic nervous system dominates (this system has almost the exact opposite effect and relaxes the body and inhibits or slows many high energy functions).
- Help with pain relief. Researchers have found select terpenes likley bind to the opioid receptors and are analogous to opioids, such as morphine. But in contrast to morphine, terpenes there is no tolerance and therefore no addiction.
- Give you a deeper sleep because they significantly decrease sleep stages 1 and 2 and significantly increase stage 4 and REM sleep.
- Make you feel better by stimulating the release of neurotransmitters in the brain, such as serotonin and endorphins.
- And of course, dreamt is the only science-backed cannabis sleep aid. Each ingredient has scientific journal-published studies behind it showing its effectiveness for sleep.
We don’t use any fillers in our pen.
We don’t use filler because some molecules used in fillers can’t be absorbed in the lungs and if they are oil-soluble they can accumulate and produce a rare condition called lipoid pneumonia. Lipoid pneumonia is a specific form of lung inflammation that develops when lipids enter the bronchial tree.
As a science-forward company motivated by improving people’s health and wellbeing through sleep management, we take our responsibility for consumer safety extremely seriously. We never use any cutting agents or harmful adulterants in the production of our products. We vet our suppliers vigorously, and work closely with some of California’s most reputable and state-of-the-art testing facilities to ensure the utmost integrity of our product and process.
Melatonin is a naturally occurring neuro-hormone found in animals, plants, and microbes. It regulates the circadian rhythms of several biological functions, including controlling the sleep-wake cycles. Melatonin is produced in the brain from serotonin. A depletion of serotonin due to stress and anxiety prevents healthy sleep by reducing the melatonin available in the brain.
The most common method of ingesting melatonin is orally in a pill. When used orally as a sleep aid, melatonin is typically taken 60-120 minutes prior to bedtime, to allow the melatonin time to dissolve in the stomach and be absorbed into the bloodstream in order to take effect. When taken orally, melatonin has a low bioavailability as well. However, inhalation of melatonin is not subject to the low bioavailability of melatonin given orally, which suffers variable first-pass metabolism in the liver. So inhalation of melatonin gives users a predictable and effective dose that taking melatonin orally does not. Using this delivery method allows for rapid absorption of the ingredients and makes it one of the fastest-acting sleep aids available. Inhaling melatonin allows for a near-instant effect.
For more information on melatonin, check out “dreamt’s little guide to melatonin”
One of the main reasons an inhaled compound is harmful is heat-induced decomposition. This means that some substances get destroyed by heat, producing other chemicals that are toxic or irritate the respiratory tract. Additionally, some of these molecules are oil-soluble and too big to be absorbed in the lungs. So they accumulate in the lungs producing a rare condition called lipoid pneumonia. This is what happens with vitamin E acetate used as a thickening agent.
However, this does not occur when inhaling melatonin. Melatonin is a very stable molecule, it boils at over 900 deg F. It is also water-soluble which means it will be easily absorbed in the low dose used in our formulation without accumulation. It will not cause lipoid pneumonia.
So you’re inhaling something that’s water-soluble?
You are inhaling hydrosoluble molecules all day! Air has water vapor for example and you breathe that your entire life. There is no scientific evidence that inhaling melatonin is unsafe, besides melatonin is also well dispersed and in low concentration which avoids accumulation in the lungs.
Technically, not at the temperatures in our vape pen, however, because the majority of the formulation is THC/CBD distillate and terpenes, these ingredients are vaporized and serve as the vehicle for melatonin.
In our formulation and any formulation, individual molecules interact with each other facilitating the transportation of compounds. Imagine a subway full of people, and each person is holding hands. Now, if 90% of people want to get out of the subway at a specific stop, they will drag along the 10% that does not want to get out. That’s what happens when THC, CBD, and terpenes are vaporized, they carry the melatonin molecules with them, even if they are not in the gas phase.
Valerian root is a plant from which extracts have been used via oral administration and inhalation to treat anxiety and insomnia. Its extract increases the levels of GABA and enhances GABA’s effect. GABA inhibits the activity of neurotransmitters that excite the brain, shortening the time to fall asleep and prolonging total sleep time. Some research has suggested that some pharmacologically active molecules in valerian root interact with the benzodiazepine receptors producing similar effects but without the addictive response.
The molecular composition of our valerian root is very similar to terpenes. Indeed some of the active ingredients in valerian are terpenoids. Additionally, it has been inhaled in traditional Chinese medicine for millennia with other terpenes for the treatment of insomnia, stress, and anxiety.
An increasing number of dispensaries collect empty vapes and cartridges. We will be developing a solution to minimize waste and ensure the safe recycling of our pens in 2020. Sign up for our newsletter to stay in the loop.